Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Rebecca - Critical Review

Rebecca (1940)
Director: Alfred Hitchcock
Starring : Joan Fontaine, Laurence Olivier, George Sanders, Nigel Bruce

Plot: A string of classic suspense films produced in England had earned Alfred Hitchcock a reputation in the United States, and his first American production, Rebecca, cemented his fame. Based on the novel by Daphne du Maurier, Rebecca was conceived to rival producer David O. Selznick's previous epic, Gone With The Wind. This psychological thriller, however, derives its grandeur from Hitchcock's careful cultivation of the title character's haunting legacy. Joan Fontaine takes the starring role and narrates the story of her life as the second Madam de Winter. Fontaine, young and innocent, meets the worldly and sophisticated Maxim de Winter (Laurence Olivier) while vacationing on the Riviera. After a whirlwind romance and marriage, the two return to his opulent English estate, Maderley, where Fontaine begins to realize she is not entirely welcome in her new role. Chief among her detractors is housekeeper Mrs. Danvers (Judith Anderson), who points out her every failing in relation to the previous mistress of the house, Rebecca. Fontaine is nearly driven to suicide by her inability to understand the mysterious legacy of the first wife. However, when a ship washes ashore, the mystery begins to unravel, setting the stage for the memorable and fiery climax. (rottentomatoes.com)


Review:
I would not consider myself a big reader so for me to actually finish a book is a pretty amazing feat. Even more so for me to finish a book that we were assigned to read in high school is a bigger feat in itself. I think that Rebecca was the only b
ook that I read in its entirety during my high school days. I don't remember why it was that I actually read this one, but it happened so when I was bored and flipping channels it peaked my interest when I stumbled upon this film on TCM, which was ideal since TCM does not interrupt their movies with commercials.

The movie did not sway too much from the plot of the book written by
Daphne du Maurier. Alfred Hitchcock was way ahead of his time when it comes to suspense in movies. He portrayed the drama and emotion in this thriller with utter perfection. The casting for this movie was also very well done. One of the highlights was one of the creepiest characters in movie or novel history, Mrs. Danvers, who was played by Judith Anderson. I was completely and utterly creeped out by Mrs. Danvers as I read through the book in high school and Ms. Anderson brought my nightmares to life in front of my very own eyes. The stone faced look and creepy smile almost pushed me over the edge, one of the best acting jobs that I have ever seen! The rest of this big name cast also brought their A-game making for a wonderfully enjoyable film.

Due to unenjoyable experiences with black and white films in the past I usually am turned off as soon as I see B&W, but Rebecca is a movie that I would recommend to each and every one of you! This is a classic novel that was turned into a wonderful thriller film by one of Hollywood's most renowned director's. I rated this movie 4 stars out of a total 5 stars and would recommend that all of you watch this film if you stumble upon it!

Please, if you are interested I encourage you to participate and share your thoughts. I would love to get some feedback and hear what each of you took from the day's topic. Just fill in the comment box at the end of each blog and let me know what you think! To read more posts and see my entire blog click the Touch 'Em All Productions header at the top of the page!

No comments:

Post a Comment