Tuesday, June 9, 2009

He's Just Not That Into You - Critical Review


He's Just Not That Into You (2009)
Director: Ken Kwapis
Starring : Ben Affleck, Jennifer Aniston, Drew Berrymore, Jennifer Connelly, Scarlett Johansson, Bradley Cooper, Justin Long, Kevin Connolly

Plot: Based on the wildly popular bestseller from Sex and the City scribes Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo, He's Just Not That Into You tells the stories of a group of interconnected, Baltimore-based twenty- and "thirtysomethings" as they navigate their various relationships from the shallow end of the dating pool through the deep, murky waters of married life, trying to read the signs of the opposite sex... and hoping to be the exceptions to the "no-exceptions" rule.

Gigi just wants a man who says he'll call--and does--while Alex advises her to stop sitting by the phone. Beth wonders if she should call it off after years of committed singlehood with her boyfriend, Neil, but he doesn't think there's a single thing wrong with their unmarried life. Janine's not sure if she can trust her husband, Ben, who can't quite trust himself around Anna. Anna can't decide between the sexy married guy, or her straightforward, no-sparks standby, Conor, who can't get over the fact that he can't have her. And Mary, who's found an entire network of loving, supportive men, just needs to find one who's straight.

If you've ever sat by the phone wondering why he said he would call, but didn't, or if you can't figure out why she doesn't want to sleep with you anymore, or why your relationship just isn't going to the next level... he (or she) is just not that into you.


Review: Again, checking the man card at the door for this one. In my defense all the things that I had heard about this movie were saying that it's an enjoyable movie for guys as well, I've heard that one before. I would be lying if I said that this movie did not have it's moments but all in all I was not impressed. It really disappoints me when a movie brings this many big names together and does not utilize them very well. To me it was just a big cluster of characters bouncing around too much, making in not enjoyable to watch. The acting was great and I've been told that the costume department was "top notch." But to me those are not the things that make a movie. Obviously acting is important but if the story isn't engaging then you've lost my vote. There were the interesting insertion of "chapters" into the movie which was weird and seemed out of place. I don't plan on reading the book but I would guess that these "chapters" in the movie would follow along with the chapters in the book. News flash for the director/writers, this is not the only movie based off of a book. Those other movies do not include "chapters" and the flow of the movie goes just fine. I was not a fan of the way that these chapter headings split up the movie piece by piece. However I did enjoy the random clips following the chapter headings of seemingly people off of the street giving their two cents on the issue. I guess you can't have one without the other but if I had to choose, I say dump them both.

The main gripe that I had with this film was the way that it just toyed around with the idea of love and especially the idea of marriage. I realiz
e that we don't live in a perfect world, that people are going to make mistakes, and all relationships don't last forever, so go ahead and call me old fashioned but marriage and love should be held on a higher pedestal than this movie placed it. I don't think that this movie treated love and marriage with the amount of respect that it deserves. Maybe it is because I am married and consider myself the luckiest guy in the world, but this aspect of the movie just rubbed me the wrong way. And unfortunately this was the main precipice of the film, thus I type this review with both of my thumbs facing downwards. It was a mediocre effort at poking fun at something that should be treated as a blessing from God. 1.5 stars out of 5.

Please, if you are interested I encourage you to participate and share your thoughts. I would love to get some feedback and hear what each of you took from the day's topic. Just fill in the comment box at the end of each blog and let me know what you think! To read more posts and see my entire blog click the Touch 'Em All Productions header at the top of the page!

No comments:

Post a Comment