Wednesday, April 29, 2009

American Idol 2009 Top 5 Show Reaction



American Idol 4/28/2009
Reaction



After sending two people packing last week, Idol is back this week with the Rat Pack theme. This was an interesting night as this theme didn't really suit anybodies singing style more than the others. It made for a pretty fair match and overall was a fairly uneventful night.





Kris Allen - The Way You Look Tonight
I really enjoyed Kris' performance this week. I do have to say that his last note was a little shaky and unfortunately it's the last thing that everybody will remember. The judges got really technical with his performance using many big musical terms that I didn't quite understand. The one thing that I agree with the most came from Simon. He said that Kris was like a "a well trained Spaniard out on a walk." This was a little weird but made complete sense. We always know what we are going to get from Kris, but his downfall is that he never really blows us out of the water. I think Kris will be safe this week but needs to add the wow-factor if he wants to continue on in this competition.

Allison Iraheta - Someone to Watch Over Me
In her first performance as a 17 year old, Allison was one of the few that I was a little worried about with the Rat Pack theme this week. I think that she did OK but not great. I'm not exactly sure what it's called, I think maybe bravado, but the waviness in here voice when she holds a note really rubs me the wrong way. I am not a fan of that. But Allison does have a very powerful voice. The only "chick" as Seacrest put it, left in the competition should be a little worried tonight. At this point in the competition good singers are being sent home. Allison should be a little nervous tonight and will find herself in the bottom 3.

Matt Giraud - My Funny Valentine
Of all genres that should be Matt's strong suit, the Rat Pack seems to be the perfect fit. In that case I will blame it on song choice. I was very unimpressed by Matt tonight. I feel like he could have picked a song that fit his style and his voice so perfectly and the song he sang was just mediocre to me. There were times where he was basically talking rather than singing. Had he arranged it to be a little more like a Justin Timberlake song with the soft subtle variations in range it could have been much stronger for him. With his previous falls and this weeks performance Matt should find himself in the bottom 3 tonight.

Danny Gokey - Come Rain or Come Shine
This theme tonight did not really fit Danny's voice the best, but in true Danny Gokey fashion, he made the best of it. I'm starting to realize that Danny's voice is more soulful than I had previously realized. He is a great talent and when he stretches for for those high powerful notes it's just amazing! All of his performances build up throughout the song and by the time he gets to the end he's giving it all he's got and the crow is going absolutely crazy! Danny did great again this week and should have no fear of going home this week.

Adam Lambert - Feeling Good
It's always interesting to see how Adam will twist a song to fit his style. Tonight like all of the others he twisted it and it seemed successful. When his high voice is singing these songs it's hard to see how it was ever a Rat Pack song, but his fans just eat the stuff up. Adam should be safe from elimination this week but if he wants to be the champ he is going to have to pick it up a little from his performance this week.


Overall Predictions: after the 04/28/2009 performance show
Last week I went 100% in the bottom three but with two people going home I only got one of the two correct.
  1. Danny Gokey
  2. Adam Lambert
  3. Kris Allen
  4. Allison Iraheta
  5. Matt Giraud ('tis officially the end of the road for Matt this time.)
Please, if you are interested I encourage you to participate and share your thoughts. I would love to get some feedback and hear what each of you took from the day's topic. Just fill in the comment box at the end of each blog and let me know what you think! To read more posts and see my entire blog click the Touch 'Em All Productions header at the top of the page!

1 comment:

  1. i definitely think danny was my favorite of the night, as well...adam is obviously an all star, but when he sings, it just seems like he's just singing to sing.
    when danny performs, he puts real emotion into his singing, makes it feel kind of raw..but that's why i like it!

    kris is always precious.
    allison has a powerful voice, but everything she does is...more or less expected, i guess...almost on the verge of boring, in my opinion.


    i agree with your prediction, brother.
    bye bye matty!

    ReplyDelete