Saturday, April 25, 2009

Lunch For Three - Day 20

Nooma 020|Shells
"Do you often find yourself saying, "I'm so busy" or "I just have so much to do"? It's easy to get overwhelmed with appointments, gatherings, to-do lists. But what are we really doing with our time? Many of us are running from place to place and it seems like life is just passing us by. We're doing so many things, a little bit of everything, and yet it doesn't feel like much of a life. But most of us find it hard to say no. We feel obligated. There are so many good things to do. So many good causes to join. But while we're busy doing all these good things, are we missing out on something great? Maybe saying no would be easier if we knew what it meant to say yes." NOOMAtube



Life gets busy sometimes doesn't it. I commonly find myself stuck in a position where I have committed to help a friend move, catch a Twins game with my dad, and pick Abby up from somewhere, all of these things within the span of a few hours. Almost always I end up letting someone down when I realize that I can't do it all and need to cut one of these obligations out of my agenda. How do you think that God feels when his plans are the ones that we cut out of our agenda. It's been over a week now since my last post in this Lunch For Three series. Obviously with work getting busier, summer commitments coming into full affect and a monster birthday season in our family on my plate, I made the poor choice to cut blogging and more importantly cut my time with God and my devotional study out of my life. Coming back into the study with this video was a bit of a slap in the face.

Overcommitment is an epidemic in today's society. With the advancement of cars, cell phones, and computers we seem to think that we are able to do it all, and do it all at the same time. Does this sound familiar? Or maybe you're a people pleaser and you just can't say no when someone asks something of you. Either way, we all have an issue with spreading ourselves too thin. I've made a comment in one of my previous blogs about some advice that my dad gave me about being financially responsible. He has told me that it is important to stay out of debt and be financially comfortable not because you never know what opportunity may come your way or what tragedy may befall you, but because you never know what God might call you to do. And when God comes calling you want to be in a position where you will be able to fulfill His calling. This is the same sort of concept that Rob is talking about in this video. He gives an example of his son spotting a star fish floating in the water. In mid stride on his way to catch the starfish his son stops, and says I can't my hands are full with my shells. If God came calling to you today, to put down the video game, skip the shopping, get off the couch and go out and help those who are less fortunate, where would your priorities lie? Which of those actions would you cut out of your schedule?

"May you drop your shells in the pursuit of a simple, disciplined, focused life. I which you pursue the few things God has for you. And may you be like Jesus, able to say no because you've already said yes." Rob Bell

Please, if you are interested I encourage you to participate and share your thoughts. I would love to get some feedback and hear what each of you took from the day's topic. Just fill in the comment box at the end of each blog and let me know what you think! To read more posts and see my entire blog click the Touch 'Em All Productions header at the top of the page!

No comments:

Post a Comment