Friday, May 15, 2009

Star Trek - Critical Review

Star Trek (2009)

Director: J.J. Abrams
Cast: Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Eric Bana, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban

Synopsis: The greatest adventure of all time begins with Star Trek, the incredible story of a young crew’s maiden voyage on board the most advanced starship ever created: the U.S.S. Enterprise. On a journey filled with action, comedy and cosmic peril, the new recruits must find a way to stop an evil being whose mission of vengeance threatens all of mankind.

The fate of the galaxy rests in the hands of bitter rivals. One, James T. Kirk (Chris Pine), is a delinquent, thrill-seeking Iowa farm boy. The other, Spock (Zachary Quinto), was raised in a logic-based society that rejects all emotion. As fiery instinct clashes with calm reason, their unlikely but powerful partnership is the only thing capable of leading their crew through unimaginable danger, boldly going where no one has gone before! --© Paramount (Rotten Tomatoes)

Critical Review: Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise. Her five year mission: to explore strange new worlds. To seek out new life and new civilizations. To boldly go where no man has gone before. Let me start by saying, no I would not consider myself a "Trekky," no I have never watched a full episode of Star Trek on T.V., and no I do not speak Klingon. Now that I've got that off my chest I can safely say that I loved this movie! This film had me intrigued from the very first scene all the way through to the well known monologue that sent us on our way. Rumors of an attempt to resurrect this coveted franchise have lingered throughout Hollywood since the last two films (Insurrection and Nemesis) flopped at the box office. Recently successful within the realms of television, J.J. Abrams (whose filmography is not exactly considered first class) took on the task of introducing Star Trek to a whole new generation. I am 23 years old, but you can throw me into that new generation of Star Trek fans as I have had no interest in previous ventures. I know that I am not alone in this feeling. It was interesting to see some of the correlations in the idea of time travel between that which was going on in Star Trek and that of Abrams' T.V. series LOST. The ideas behind the time travel of future Spock were very similar to that of Daniel Faraday in LOST. An interesting correlation between two of Abrams' recent projects.

Knowing only little bits and pieces about the historical background of Star Trek, I really appreciated that the premise of this movie stemmed from the beginnings of the crew and the maiden voyage of the USS Enterprise. It was a brilliant approach for the writers of this movie to take. Learning how the crew came together and witnessing the events that brought them to where they were during the original series was a real treat. Along with a fantastic story, I really applaud the acting and casting that was done in this film as each of the characters greatly resembled their predecessors with both their physical characteristics and mannerisms. It was a great risk for a group of young actors to jump into a franchise with such a devout following as the Star Trek franchise and I think it's safe to say that it was a grand success. I would feel it unjust to go any further in my review without mentioning how good the special effects in the film were. After all, it is a Sci-Fi film. During a few select scenes in this movie, the whole audience, myself included, had no choice but to gaze completely awestruck as we were flown by a space station or were witness to entire planet destruction.

In summary, this movie was amazing! It was exciting at parts. It was funny at parts. It was electric at times. It was sad at times. It was graphically stimulating and action packed. All of that wrapped up, makes for one great film. I judge this to be a stunning success and look forward to the sequel that Abrams has already signed on for in 2011. I would rate this movie at 4.5 stars out of a total 5 stars.

1 comment: