Sunday, March 22, 2009

Lunch For Three - Day 6

Nooma 006|Kickball
"We always think we know what's missing from our lives in order to really make us happy, don't we? If only I had that car, or that job, or if only I could lose those 15 lbs, then I'd be happy. Really? How often do we want something only to find out that it wasn't that great after all? Sometimes we ask God for things and if he doesn't deliver right away, we start questioning whether God really understands or even cares. Do we really trust God? Do we trust that God is good and sees a bigger picture than we ever could? It's easy to want what's right in front of us, but maybe God knows what's better for us, and sometimes we just can't see it." NOOMAtube



Do you ever feel like you're being ignored by God? Do you ask him for things that you have not yet received? Do you think that your life would be better if you had that new car, that new pair of shoes, or that new house? Who are we to decide what would make our lives better or what would ultimately make us happy? This video dives into the idea of our humanly perspective on life compared to God's heavenly perspective on life. I know we've all heard the analogy of life viewing life as a marathon. Somebody much wiser and smarter than you tells you to "pace yourself" or to "look at the big picture." How frustrating is that? That's what this is like, and that's what God is reminding us of. But I know that if I was blessed with this new car my life would be better. I know it would make me happy. Yet I don't know when that happiness will run out. I don't know when the we won't be able to buy groceries because I spent our money on that new car instead.

We often have our own ideas of what would be better, yet don't realize that God's idea of better...is better. Think to yourself and write down a few characteristics that you think describe God. Here are some that I came up with...
  • Loving
  • Awesome
  • Terrifying
  • Just
  • Gracious
How many of the characteristics that you came up with are considered bad? I put down terrifying, but did not intend it to be a bad thing at all. How terrifying is it that in the blink of an eye, God could end our lives? Or with the snap of his fingers natural disasters form? That's terrifying. But I followed it up with the characteristics of just and gracious. God could do these things and has done these things, yet He is just and gracious in His decisions. God is good and he could give us everything that we could ever want, be he does not. That's because within our desire and greed is our view of reality, not God's view of reality. If we know how to give good gifts to our kids, to our friends, and to our family, how much better will God know how to give gifts to his children? Step out of your comfort zone and fully give your life to God. Let go of the steering wheel and let God guide you through life. Have faith that he will provide. "May you believe that God is good and he has something better..." Rob Bell.

"Whatever is good and perfect comes down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens. He never changes or casts a shifting shadow."
James 1:17 (NLT)

"I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for. When you call on me, when you come and pray to me, I'll listen. When you come looking for me, you'll find me. Yes, when you get serious about finding me and want it more than anything else, I'll make sure you won't be disappointed."
Jeremiah 29:11-14 (MSG)

Please, if you are interested I encourage you to participate and share your thoughts. I would love to get some feedback and hear what each of you took from the day's topic. Just click the comment button at the end of each blog and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment